setup of Bind9 on 5.3

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Sun Jan 16 16:58:43 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:23:54PM -0600, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> I have cvs'd and built world and now I want to use the native bind9 to run
> DNS.
>
> I am very familiar with chrooting named, but for some reason I cannot get
> this going....
>
> If I use ISC's bind 9 built from scratch, it will chroot just fine.
>
> Does anyone have a sample named.conf for chrooting that shows
> but doesnt hurt)
>
> In addition, the dir structure of /var/named would be nice to see.
>
> normally I setup chroot jail for named like this:
>
> /var/named:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         512 Aug 16 12:04 dev
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     named        512 Aug 16 12:04 etc
> drwxrwx---   2 root     named        512 Sep  1  2003 log
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         512 Jan 16 10:02 master
> drwxrwx---   2 root     named        512 Jan 16 10:04 run
> drwxrwxr-x   2 root     named       1024 Dec 30 19:40 slave
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         512 Apr  7  2004 standard
>
> this approach does not seem to work with using STOCK named....
>
> any help will be appreciated!

Take a look at the new knobs in /etc/defaults/rc.conf for controlling
the supplied BIND9.

The rc scripts do a really good job of setting it all up for you.

As for the locations of your zone files, I think you will have more
success if you put them insude ./namedb/.  This how my /var/named/ is
laid out:

--->$ ls -R /var/named/
dev/    etc/    var/

/var/named/dev:
null    ptyp2   ptyp4   random  ttyp2   ttyp4
ptyp1   ptyp3   ptyp5   ttyp1   ttyp3   ttyp5

/var/named/etc:
localtime       namedb/

/var/named/etc/namedb:
PROTO.localhost-v6.rev  named.conf              rndc.key
PROTO.localhost.rev     named.conf.dist         slave/
make-localhost          named.root
master/                 rndc.conf

/var/named/etc/namedb/master:
0.168.192.in-addr.arpa  localhost.rev
localhost-v6.rev        slightlystrange.org

/var/named/etc/namedb/slave:

/var/named/var:
dump/   log/    run/    stats/

/var/named/var/dump:
named_dump.db

/var/named/var/log:
named.run

/var/named/var/run:
log=            named/          named.pid

/var/named/var/run/named:

/var/named/var/stats:
named.stats

Note that most of these files will be created for you the first time you
inoke named by means of the rc script, /etc/rc.d/named.  You should
probably move aside any pre-existing config.

You can then load your zone files like this:

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};
zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "master/localhost.rev";
};
zone "your.domain.org" {
    type master;
    file "master/your.domain.org";
};
zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
    type master;
    file "master/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
};

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \