how to install samba with outdated port

Frank Staals f.staals at zonnet.nl
Sat Jan 15 11:41:15 PST 2005

Marty Landman wrote:

> I'm running a fresh install of 4.8 from the mini-iso and would like to
> install samba. Have d/l'd samba-3.0.10
> which is the uncompressed samba-latest.tar.gz and copied this into my
> /usr/ports/distfiles.
>
> When I go to /usr/ports/net/samba and make build I get:
>
> # make build
> >> samba-2.2.8.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
> >> Attempting to fetch from http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/./.
> fetch: http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/./samba-2.2.8.tar.bz2: Operation
> timed out
> >> Attempting to fetch from http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/old-versions/.
> fetch:
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/old-versions/samba-2.2.8.tar.bz2:
> Operation timed out
>
> I gather that my samba port is too old. How can I do the make build &&
> make install using the latest version.
>
> Marty
>
> Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
> Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
> Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal

You have to use cvsup to get the latest ports, therefor you need
/net/cvsup then you need to use a cvsup file to download the ports
here's mine:
/
*default tag=.
*default host=cvsup.nl.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/var/db
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress

ports-all release=cv/

than just run: cvsup -l 2 -g <path_to_supfile>

for more info:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

and when it's done just run a make install clean again.

An other option is using net/portupgrade but I'm not a fan of that ...

Frank Staals