how to install samba with outdated port

Kris Maglione bsdaemon at comcast.net
Sat Jan 15 19:40:41 PST 2005

Marty Landman wrote:

> I gather that my samba port is too old. How can I do the make build &&
> make install using the latest version.

You have three decent options:

1: CVSup your entire ports tree
2: CVS checkout just that port
3: Download that port as a tarball

For three, you can find if at http://www.freebsd.org/ports
Search for Samba and click the "download" link. Then, unzip in place of
the previous samba directory.

You can also try to cheat by editing the distinfo file and renaming the
file to the version that you have, and editing the Makefile to that
version too, but that's a bad idea, since any patches to the port are
for the previous version. Sometimes, though, things like this are
necessary for certain abandoned ports.