Will my friend's computer work with FreeBSD?

albi albi at scii.nl
Sat Jan 15 06:35:28 PST 2005

Kevin Kinsey wrote:

>> Motherboard: Asus A7V8x-x, chipset VIA-KT400,     with onboard sound,
>> LAN, ATA133, USB
>>

> Doubt that's much of an issue.  And, in regard
> to your assertation about sound, I've never had
> much trouble with sound and FreeBSD, regardless
> of the card or onboard chipset, except for a few
> cards that weren't listed as supported on the
> web site.  YMMV.
>
>> Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce4 MX440SE with TV-out

i've recently put FreeBSD 5.3 on a machine with such a  motherboard,
with a Nvidia GeForce4 MX4000, made Xorg + nvidia-drivers work by using
xorgcfg and manually editing xorg.conf afterwards, works fine, although
i haven't tried sound at all (that machine became a server, and the
videocard went into another machine)