Will my friend's computer work with FreeBSD?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Jan 14 21:35:59 PST 2005

Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The computer of my friend has the following specs:
>
>Motherboard: Asus A7V8x-x, chipset VIA-KT400,
>	with onboard sound, LAN, ATA133, USB

Doubt that's much of an issue.  And, in regard
to your assertation about sound, I've never had
much trouble with sound and FreeBSD, regardless
of the card or onboard chipset, except for a few
cards that weren't listed as supported on the
web site.  YMMV.

>Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce4 MX440SE with TV-out

I've used Nvidia (nv driver) with X, but not tried TV-out as
my cards don't have it.  Not sure about this issue.

>Modem:         acorp-56K

Old rule was "software modems don't work in FBSD."

An exception might be if it uses the Lucent LT chip, a
port exists (/usr/ports/comms/ltmdm) that is supposed
to allow use of these modems.

>Printer:       OKI okipage 6w

Check linuxprinting.org, for one site.  Perhaps also
the documentation for apsfilter (apsfilter.org), which
seems to me to be a good solutions for lots of printing
issues....

>Scanner:       mustec1200CP

Possibly an issue.  You'd need to decide what software
you intend to use, and check the site for that, I think.

SANE is the software of choice, I gather (could be wrong).
Last I recall looking at their site, there *might* have been
support for Mustek, but I wasn't too hopeful for the scanners
I have "in the pile."  I can't remember, but I think one was a
Mustek.  YMMV.

>So, what is supported and what is not supported by FreeBSD in his case?
>

>Thank you

As mentioned, there is a hardware compatibility list on
the Project's site.  I would also suggest reading through
the handbook, looking for pages at Google (how-tos, etc),
and scanning the archives of the various mailing lists.

Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey