M$ mouse working?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Fri Jan 14 11:10:37 PST 2005

On 01/15/05 12:08 AM, Subhro sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have managed to get hold of a New Microsoft Optical Desktop. I have been
> trying to use its USB interface with Xorg but without any success (This box
> is running 5.3-Stable, amd64). During boot I can see that both the mouse and
> the keyboard are detected once and then detached. Again later it had been
> detected as "Microsoft Optical Desktop". Fair enough. But unfortunately the
> mouse does not work in console or in Xorg. Moused runs with an argument of
> -p /dev/ums0 from rc.conf. The keyboard works fine though, or should I call
> it apparently fine (??). While booting I also get a couple of "Device Busy"
> messages from kbdcontrol and moused.
>
> Also I have noticed that although my rc.conf says cursor="destructive", the
> cursor still appears as a blinking block block and not an "under_score".
>
> Anyone can help me out in getting there devices work correctly?

You probably just need to tweak your Mouse section in xorg.conf.

I haven't figured out all the details yet myself, I think but moused
will virtualize the mouse port to /dev/sysmouse.  If /dev/sysmouse
exists, you want to set your device to /dev/sysmouse.  This will only
work if moused is actually running.  Otherwise, you want to set that
device to /dev/ums0.

I'm finding this to be a real pain in the neck when you want to plug a
trackball AND a mouse in.  When you plug it in, the ums driver
apparently automagically runs moused on both ports (usm0 and ums1)
regardless of the fact I have moused_enable set to "NO".  It appears
to cause some kind of conflict, because the default is to virtualize
it to sysmouse.

I got it working by stopping both moused instances and restarting X.
Now to figure out how to keep it from starting moused in the first
place - or to redirect it to a different device . . .

Good luck.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Krogt, n. (chemical symbol: Kr):
  The metallic silver coating found on fast-food game cards.
    -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"