libintl.so.5 issue when installing logrotate

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Jan 11 09:24:50 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:53:52AM +0100, Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into a rather funny issue (fbsd 5.3-release, i386).
>
> I have an updated ports tree (that is: twice per week cron updates it
> using cvsup).
>
> Now, I tried installing /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate (make install)
>
> O.k., it failed, mentioning that it required gettext version 0.13 or higher.
>
> No problem, just install that, right?
> O.k., so I installed /usr/ports/devel/gettext (make deinstall, make
> reinstall)
>
> All fine so far (it installef version 0.14.1).
>
> Then I tried again to make install the /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate
> and again it failed, this time the error is:
> [...]
> ===>  Building for logrotate-3.7_3
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found
>
> Hmmm, no what can that be?
> A quick look-up on Google shows:
> http://tomster.org/geek/freebsdcookbook/tidbits/gettextupgrade
>
> Nice, a "chicken and the egg" problem: logrotate requires gettext 0.13
> or higher, but when installing that, apparently out goes a required
> library! Duh!

It's probably some other binary that is missing libintl.so.5 (you
probably yanked it out from underneath when doing a previous upgrade -
if you'd used portupgrade, this wouldn't have happened because it
saves copies of the old libraries in case they're still in use).
gmake is a likely candidate; you'd need to rebuild it.  The libchk
port will tell you if any other applications need to be rebuilt.

Kris