How to transparently set-up two differently configured network interfaces?

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Wed Jan 12 05:24:52 PST 2005

Hi all,

I find myself with little time to find a neat solution for the following
situation:

We have a Shuttle on which fbsd 5.2.1 is installed. Now, the machine
used to have just one network interface, of which I'd simply switch the
settings when the machine needs to be used for demo purposes, rather
than running in our local network.

So, I just installed a second network interface, and I'd like the
machine to become smart enough to do the following:

-Boot, check if rl0 has a cable attached to it, and if so, use that as
active network interface, with fixed settings (gateway, nameserver, and
IPv4 address all set to 192.168.1.1).
-if rl0 does not have a cable attached to it, use DHCP on interface rl1
and use that.

Sounds relatively straightforward. So I set the settings of the rl0 and
rl1 network interfaces (via sysinstall) to reflect just that. However,
when doing so, the gateways seem to get shared, and just get set to
192.168.1.1.

Can anyone point me to the proper means of setting this up properly?
Normally I would RTFM regarding dhclient.conf and such, but
unfortunately I find myself with very little time available for spending
on it, so I hope someone can give me a quick pointer in the right
direction...

Cheerz!
Olafo