About ports dist

albi albi at scii.nl
Fri Jan 7 10:48:32 PST 2005

Martin Gonzalez wrote:

> When I try to install the X.org distribution, it sends an error message that says it cannot find the packages/INDEX on
> the specified media. I checked on the CD 2, and there it is, the full
ports collection, but the index file is named INDEX-5
> instead of INDEX, so I think it might be the problem.
>
> If someone knows how to install all ports from the CDs, can you tell me to this mail, I will be very thankful for it..!

if your machine is connected to the internet you can try :
cd /usr/ports ; make fetchindex

> The second question is: when I execute 'Xorg' at the prompt, it starts the graphics display, but I have no windows nor desktops,
> nothing but the mouse pointer. Do I have to install something else ? (Maybe from ports collection - which one?)

try :  Xorg -configure

that should give you a temp. config-file to test, and if that is working
fine copy that config-file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

(make sure you install a windowmanager (e.g. icewm, fluxbox) or a
desktop-environment like e.g. KDE, Gnome or xfce4)