About ports dist

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri Jan 7 11:45:14 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 12:36:59PM -0600, Martin Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I have 2 very quick questions/comment about installation from the FreeBSD CDs, and X-window:
>

> When I try to install the X.org distribution, it sends an error
> message that says it cannot find the packages/INDEX on the specified
> media. I checked on the CD 2, and there it is, the full ports
> collection, but the index file is named INDEX-5 instead of INDEX, so
> I think it might be the problem.

Looks like you're trying to install packages, not ports.  You forgot
to mention which ISO image you used (some don't have packages, and
there are only a handful of packages on the disc 1 image).  You also
forgot to mention which version of FreeBSD you're using.

Kris

P.S. Please wrap your lines at 70 characters so your emails may be easily read.