make installworld - permission denied

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed Jan 5 21:48:15 PST 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 08:39 pm, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 January 2005 10:14 pm, Mark wrote:
> > Urgh, it was all going so well. I suppose it had to happen:
> >
> > I did as the hallowed handbook commanded:
>
> Why aren't you following /usr/src/UPDATING instead, that tends to be
> more up to date than the handbook.
>
> > #make buildworld
> > #make buildkernel KERNCONF=L004
> > #make installkernel
>
> This step should have been:
> 	make installkernel KERNCONF=L004
>
> > I rebooted into single user mode:
>
> Why don't you use "shutdown now" instead, that way your put into
> single user mode with things already mounted. Just accept the
> standard location of sh, cd into /usr/src and you can finish up.

The whole purpose for the boot into single user mode is to test the new
kernel before you are fully dedicated to the upgrade. There are rare
occasions when the new kernel will panick and you can boot kernel.old
really easy and your system will run as if nothing is wrong until you
figure out what is broken.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart