make installworld - permission denied

Mark mark at darklogik.org
Wed Jan 5 21:01:22 PST 2005

> > #make buildworld
> > #make buildkernel KERNCONF=L004
> > #make installkernel
>
> This step should have been:
> 	make installkernel KERNCONF=L004

Sorry, that was a typo on my part. I did in fact run the command you
suggested.

> Why don't you use "shutdown now" instead, that way your put into single
> user mode with things already mounted. Just accept the standard
> location of sh, cd into /usr/src and you can finish up.

Is it too late for that d'you think? I'm basically moving from
5.3 RELEASE-p2 to p3, will my userland be stable enough to start afresh?

> > #mount -a
> > #cd /usr/src
> > #mergemaster -p
> > #make installworld
>

> > (setting of variables omitted, i'm typing from the screen!)
> > /tmp/install.XXXXXXXX make -f Makefile.inc1 reinstall
>
> This is something I don't think I've ever seen. Where does it say to do
> this. I think this is a big problem and once more I would suggest
> following /usr/src/UPDATING.

I think you may have misunderstood, the /tmp* line is output from the
makefile, not a command that I have typed.

I have rebooted to clear my head (and /tmp amongst other things)
and mounted my partitions (as Joshua suggested) but I still get
the same 'permission denied' error.

Upon re-checking /usr/src/UPDATING, I've confirmed that it describes
the process I am performing to the letter.

I'm at a loss currently.