How to get internet working on installed freebsd 5.1

matt virus mattvirus at navix.net
Tue Jan 4 22:30:36 PST 2005

Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> I installed freebsd 5.1 on my computer when it was not connected to any
> network (but my ethernet card was attached).  Now that my computer has a
> network connection, I can't access any internet sites, it says it can't find
> the host.  I've installed freebsd 5.1 on this same computer when it was
> connected to a network and the internet worked right away.  I also have linux
> on this computer and it can connect to the internet fine.
>
> So my question is how do I get the internet working on freebsd?  Is there a
> simple command I can run or do I edit some text file?  Thanks.

i would simply suggest running  /stand/sysinstall
--then do the configure option
--then do the networking option
--then pick interfaces option
--then pick your network card
--it will ask you if you'd like to try dhcp - i'd suggest you do that
method.

It should pull the proper settings from your router and off to the races
you go

-matt

--
Matt Virus ("veer-iss")