How to get internet working on installed freebsd 5.1

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Tue Jan 4 23:55:44 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:58:20AM +0000, Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 05, 2005 04:57 am, Hexren wrote:
> > JD> I installed freebsd 5.1 on my computer when it was not connected to any
> > JD> network (but my ethernet card was attached).  Now that my computer has
> > a JD> network connection, I can't access any internet sites, it says it
> > can't find JD> the host.  I've installed freebsd 5.1 on this same computer
> > when it was JD> connected to a network and the internet worked right away.
> > I also have linux JD> on this computer and it can connect to the internet
> > fine.
> >
> > JD> So my question is how do I get the internet working on freebsd?  Is
> > there a JD> simple command I can run or do I edit some text file?  Thanks.
> > JD> _______________________________________________

> > How exactly is the Computer connected ? (dsl, cable, isdn)
>
> Cable, with a router and modem in between.
>
> > Have you tested simple IP conectivity ? (ping 216.136.204.21 (that is
> > freebsd.org))
>
> It said there was no route to host.

Sounds like you've forgotten to put the following in your
/etc/rc.conf:

	defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

If your Linux setup "automagically" works, then I suspect that your
router is running DHCP. You can also set up FreeBSD to use DHCP with a
ifconfig_xxx setting in /etc/rc.conf. Check out rc.conf(5) for more
details.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>