iTunes server SUCCESS!! Here are my notes

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Jan 4 17:41:21 PST 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 2:10 PM, Alvaro J. Gurdián wrote:

> This sounds very interesting.  But I am not sure I understand very
> well what exactly is the task you were trying to accomplish. Are you
> controlling iTunes (and all it's music library) on your Mac from a
> FreeBSD box somewhere on the net, and playing it on the FreeBSD box?
>
> Because that sounds like something I might be interested in doing

It's mostly about impressing women, but there are more practical
purposes as well :-)

iTunes is on my Mac, playing music which is stored on my FreeBSD
machine.  They are both on the same private subnet.

The practical aspect of this is that I can remove my MP3 collection
from my Powerbook and just keep it on the FreeBSD server.

If the FreeBSD machine were not behind a firewall, yes I could play my
iTunes collection anywhere on the internet (and I suppose with some
tweaking of my firewall, I still could) but that would be dealing with
much smaller bandwidth.

If there were others on my subnet, yes, they too would be able to play
music from the same collection.

TjL