Some questions on chmod in FAT hdd

Joao Borges joao_francisco_borges at yahoo.com.br
Fri Dec 30 12:11:31 PST 2005

  Hello everybody

  I've finally installed and ran Samba 3 on my FreeBSD
5.4. Then, wanting to share a directory I applyed on
directory

drwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1638 Dec 30 13:58 shared

the following command (as root):

chmod -R a=rwx shared

It doesn't return error but when I look up the new
atribution it is the same. Indeed this directory is
inside a mounting point which has the same attributes
(ie the mounting operation copies the mounting point
attributtes and  then I can't change any attributes
inside the mounting point). By the way the mount is a
msdosfs type.

Can I deal with this problem? Is it a bug (so I
report) or I am doing some mistake?

I've also performed a Windows XP to FreeBSD transfer
via Network using Samba. The transfer made useless all
the archives involved (some mp3). I shared a  full
access share on FreeBSD and then copied and paste on
the XP station the files. Then on FreeBSD they were
useless. Can anybody tell what happened?

Att
Joao Francisco