Running qmail

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Sun Dec 18 15:17:49 PST 2005

On 12/18/05, Gojyo <gojyo83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've some problem making qmail work.
> I've installed qmail (with smtp auth support), ucspi-tcp and daemontools
> from the ports tree (I'm using Freebsd 6.0).
>
> I've disabled sendmail running the enable-qmail script after qmail
> installation (and I can see it's not running), I've copied the "maildir"
> start script from /var/qmail/boot to /var/qmail/rc and added
> qmail_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.
> Now I can't exactly understand what I have to do: I think I have to run
> qmail from the svscan service, but I really cannot figure out how to do it.
> I need some help....

You shouldn't need daemontools and the svscan utility (though it is
useful for a number of reasons). The qmail port should have installed
a symlink in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/qmail.sh pointing to /var/qmail/rc.
This link is broken by default, but by moving or copying a file from
the /var/qmail/boot directory to this location, the link should
resolve and the script executed at startup. The scripts are non-rcng
so you shouldn't need anything in /etc/rc.conf to make things work.
You may need to edit the startup script /var/qmail/rc though.

I would, however, recomend that you install daemontools also. This
would require a little more initial work on your part, but is far
easier to maintain, and makes sure that qmail keep running.

Svein Halvor