Security level problem with Samba Apsfilter print server

Graham North northg at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 29 22:56:54 GMT 2005

Recently I tried using Samba to print from the WinXP box to a FreeBSD
webserver which has been using Samba 2.2.12 successfully to share
folders to WinXP.

It works - sort of.  Problem is Samba keeps applying user level security
to printer access.   I thought that I could change security to "share"
in the [printers} definition but that does not seem to work.  Probably a
doddle to fix for you pros..!

I was able to connect printer to FBSD box, and install it as a printer
in WinXP, however if I shutdown WinXP then the next time I boot WinXP my
printer is inaccessible until I "login" to my FBSD file shares using a
user id.  There are lots of settings which I have tried which are
currently commented out as they did not seem to be effective.  Help with
this would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to have to "login" to
my webserver every time I need to print from Windows.

Here is my smb.conf: (sorry the [printers] is at bottom)
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
    printing = BSD
    workgroup = DELNORTE
    encrypt passwords = yes
    server string = soleado server
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.101 192.168.0.102
192.168.0.103
    printcap = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    log file = /var/log/log.%m

    max log size = 50
    security = user
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

    wins support = no

==============================
[gn]
    comment = Soleado WebServer
    path = /home/gn
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    read only = no

[configs]
    comment = Soleado Configs
    path = /home/soleado_configs
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    read only = no

[wqs]
    comment = WQS  WebServer
    path = /home/wqs
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    read only = no

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
#20060826  Opened up printer section again.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/lpd
#   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
   public = yes
   browseable = no
#  security = share
# set client driver use to no
  use client driver = yes
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
#   guest account = nobody
#  writeable = yes
   printable = yes