Security level problem with Samba Apsfilter print server

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 23:22:23 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Graham North" <northg at shaw.ca>
To: "questions freebsd" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 3:56 PM
Subject: Security level problem with Samba Apsfilter print server

> Recently I tried using Samba to print from the WinXP box to a FreeBSD
> webserver which has been using Samba 2.2.12 successfully to share
> folders to WinXP.
>
> It works - sort of.  Problem is Samba keeps applying user level security
> to printer access.   I thought that I could change security to "share"
> in the [printers} definition but that does not seem to work.  Probably a
> doddle to fix for you pros..!
>
> I was able to connect printer to FBSD box, and install it as a printer
> in WinXP, however if I shutdown WinXP then the next time I boot WinXP my
> printer is inaccessible until I "login" to my FBSD file shares using a
> user id.  There are lots of settings which I have tried which are
> currently commented out as they did not seem to be effective.  Help with
> this would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to have to "login" to
> my webserver every time I need to print from Windows.
My guess is that your XP user name and password are different from your
FreeBSD user name and password. You can try a couple of things: On your XP
computer create a user account that matchs your FreeBSD account and login
information and see if it pesters for the password and name; the other is
create an account on  your FreeBSD computer to match your XP user name and
password and see what happens.