basic install question - what am I missing?

D. Goss lists at dylangoss.com
Sat Aug 27 02:14:55 GMT 2005

Sorry to have to ask this but I'm stuck...

I've had FreeBSD 5.4 installed on an IBM xSeries 345 (the same box)
many times.  I've been experimenting with (a) the stock setup and
then (b) adding a ServeRAID card which led to (c) an Adaptec
(ASR-2230) RAID card (software management exists that runs under
Linux mode).

All has been well until stage (c).  After setting up logical drive
from RAID5 array using either of the two FreeBSD install CDs that I
have (normal ISO and network install ISO) lead to:

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Load Error: 0x12
Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor

I have tried removing the Adaptec card and reverting to "stock"
mode... same error.  I have checked the BIOS on the machine and for
the heck of it reset it to the default configuration.  I've double
checked cabling and am out of things to try.

Can someone please shed some light on this one?  I've Googled my
error message and only come up with things relating to older
hardware.  Also, I've had FreeBSD installed on this machine fine from
the ISOs.  I re-downloaded the net install ISO and burnt it, same
problem.

Thanks in advance -
d.