very big files on cd9660 file system

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Aug 25 20:04:28 GMT 2005

Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com> writes:
> No single file on a ISO9660 filesystem may exceed 4Gb?

The ISO 9660 file system was designed for a storage medium which had a
fixed capacity of 600 MB.

> Is there some newer, superceeding backwards-compatible standard -- all the new
> DVD devices are now offering the media to store large files? Or is fat32 the
> only cross-platform option today?

You're supposed to use UDF on DVDs.  I don't think it's backward
compatible with ISO 9660.  I suspect that the reason why ISO 9660 is
being used on DVDs is compatibility with BIOSes which support booting
from ISO 9660 but not (yet) UDF.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no