Long Uptime

Jerahmy Pocott quakenet1 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 20 02:03:33 GMT 2005

On 20/08/2005, at 11:34 AM, Nikolas Britton wrote:

> You can keep a windows 2000 system secure without patching!:
>
> * Uninstall Outlook Express and IE ( http://www.litepc.com/ ), Install
> Firefox and Thunderbird.
> * Install Perl, Uninstall WSH.
> * Hardware (m0n0wall) and software (stealth mode, deny all (Kerio,
> ZoneAlarm, etc.)) firewalls.
> * Virus scanner.
> * Remove MS JVM, install Sun's.
> * MS Office replaced with OpenOffice (Don't install Outlook!!!).
> * Subscribe to CERT advisories list.
>
> I had a running average of 30-40 days between reboots, I think the
> highest was 90+ days, on my main do everything and anything desktop PC
> (it runs FreeBSD, 6-STABLE, now).

Many updates are for core things that require reboots though.. As a
desktop
you can get away with it.. As a server I don't think I would take the
risk..

Also, in my experience windows systems start running quite slow after
about
3 days of heavy load due to memory leaks and the like, which isn't so
noticeable
with just a web server, but on databases it gets horrible.. When I
used windows
I pretty much rebooted every 3-5 days due to loss in performance..

I guess newer versions might have less leaks.. But it is just as
likely they have more!