FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE status=41

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Aug 23 10:14:46 GMT 2005

Jimmy Bäckström wrote:

> Hi list!
> I've googled and searched the mailing list archives for this but
> couldn't find anything useful.
> I just installed freebsd 5.4 on a dell PE 2850 with RAID5 (PERC). The
> installation goes fine and as far as I can tell it runs ok, haven't
> really done anything with yet though so I can be wrong, but when
> booting I get two messages that concerns me:
>
> ata2-master: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE
> status=41<READY,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED>
> ata2-slave: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE
> status=41<READY,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED>
>
> and
>
> Interrupt storm detected on "irq18: uhci2"; throttling interrupt source
>
> When it comes to the ata2-master/slave errors I understand that they
> happen for quite a few people running later versions of freebsd? I
> haven't found anything on the net that points directly at my hardware
> specifics, it seems to happen to a lot of different drives. I'm using
> 4 seagate harddrives by the way.
>
> If this problem has been adressed on the list before, I apologise, I
> couldn't find anything about it. I appreciate any pointers and if
> someone wants me to post dmesg just ask.

Set up two of these servers recently.

We totally ignored the interrupt storm.  We couldn't make it go away but
it seemed to do no harm.

The ata errors are froeither related to the DRAC virtual devices, or the
real CD, if you have one.  They seem to confuse atapicam.  If you take
atapicam out of the kernel the messages will go away.  Your hard drives
are SCSI and have nothing to do with ata.

--Alex