WinXP administration guide for unix guru

P.U.Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Sun Aug 21 06:41:55 GMT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Kent Hauser wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've been a Unix sysadmin  (SunOS 3.x, 4.x, Solaris, FreeBSD) for 15 years,
> but am now being forced to learn how to run a collection of XP boxes.
>

> Can anyone recommend a book which explains this confusing beast? I'm talking
> about a book which explains where things are put (equiv of /var/mail,
> /etc/passwd, /etc/rc.conf), where application data is stored, how printers,
> disks, etc are shared, how to book in "fixit disk" mode, how to
> backup/restore, how to configure swap space. And also questions like why XP
> is "professional", etc.
You should have a look at microsoft press
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/findabook/list/title.asp
for general information.

For specific problems the microsoft knowledge base
http://support.microsoft.com/
will be quite helpful.

Of course there also exist mailing lists and forums and don't
forget google.

Regards,

Uli.