WinXP administration guide for unix guru

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Aug 21 21:01:00 GMT 2005

--On August 20, 2005 6:02:18 PM -1000 Kent Hauser <kent.hauser at verizon.net>
wrote:

> I've been a Unix sysadmin  (SunOS 3.x, 4.x, Solaris, FreeBSD) for 15
> years, but am now being forced to learn how to run a collection of XP
> boxes.
>
> Can anyone recommend a book which explains this confusing beast? I'm
> talking about a book which explains where things are put (equiv of
> /var/mail, /etc/passwd, /etc/rc.conf), where application data is stored,
> how printers, disks, etc are shared, how to book in "fixit disk" mode,
> how to
> backup/restore, how to configure swap space. And also questions like why
> XP is "professional", etc.

First I'll say a prayer for you.  Having been a long time Windows expert
and now a competent journeyman on *nix, I can tell you that your learning
curve will be high.

I'm afraid I don't know any books that I can recommend.  I can tell you
that your biggest frustration will be the strong emphasis on the GUI for
management and the almost complete lack of the tools you're used to using
(find, grep, awk, sed, cut, tail, vi, etc.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member