Ntpd problems

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Sat Aug 20 19:53:36 GMT 2005

At 12:37 PM 8/20/2005, Dmitry Mityugov wrote:
>On 8/20/05, fire67 <bettan at nerim.net> wrote:
> > Hello , i'm on freebsd 5.4 and i tried to configure ntpd but i
> have this problem :
> >
> >  ntpd[546]: bind() fd 16, family 28, port 123, addr
> fe80:9::2bd:a0ff:fe08:0, in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=0 fails:
> Can't assign requested address
> >
> > Anyone knowns this problem ?
>
>I never was able to configure ntpd to run on FreeBSD 5.x. Thought that
>was a widely noticed bug but seems I was wrong. Anyway, now I am using
>ntpdate in the startup scripts and so far so good.

I've got ntpd running under 5.4 without any problems, but my config
is very simple.  Below is the configuration I use, maybe it'll help,
maybe it won't.

ntp.conf:

server 217.204.76.170
server 64.112.189.11
server 66.69.112.130
server 66.187.233.4
server 80.85.129.25
server 80.237.234.15
server 130.60.7.44
server 134.99.176.3
server 198.144.202.250
server 202.74.170.194
server 204.17.42.199
server 204.87.183.6
server 213.15.3.1
server 213.239.178.33
server 217.114.97.97

clientlimit 100

and in rc.conf:

ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_flags="-A -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntpd.drift"

If you don't want just anyone to be able to connect, drop the -A from
the flags.

-Glenn