SPAM Problem

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 19 19:17:23 GMT 2005

Aaron Siegel wrote:

>Hello
>
>This message is off topic but I was not sure were else I can go to get help
>with my problem.  For the past week I have been receiving messages from
>various mail servers which have bounced messages I have not sent but have my
>email address as the originator of the bounced message. I believe there are
>some SPAMers using my email address on their SPAM. I would really like to
>avoid changing my domain name.  Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there
>something I can do?
>
>Thank you
>Aaron

What you can do to partially combat this problem is publish SPF records
for your domain.  That will cause spam filters on cooperating mail
servers to drop email claiming to be from you that comes from anywhere
but one of your mail servers.  Since the messages will be dropped, they
won't generate notices of non-delivery.  I guess this assumes that the
mail servers that generate the non-delivery notices check SPF records on
inbound mail, which on reflection doesn't seem too likely, but it might
help a little.  If this kind of problem bothers you you can also
configure your own mail server to check SPF records on inbound mail.
This won't directly address your problem but it does reduce the
effectiveness of joe-jobbing as more and more people do it.

--
Danny MacMillan