resolv.conf

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Tue Aug 16 15:53:32 GMT 2005

.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronny Machado C." <ronny.machado at cajalosandes.cl>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 8:54 AM
Subject: resolv.conf

Hi list,

I'm new to FreeBSD, and this is the first time I configure a FreeBSD box.
Ok, let's get to the point: my problem is with DNS resolution, form some
reason the resolv.conf changes after some time (10  to 20 minutes), from my
DNS IP to the rl0 IP. Does any one know why? My machine is an AMD64/FreeBSD
5.3 with PPPoE for an ADSL connection,

greetings from .CL,

pElA'0

As you may have seen already, this is a common issue with systems running
dhclient. It will overwrite the resolv.conf with the ISP provided dns
information as soon as it obtains it from the dhcp server. To counter this,
do this with your dhclient.conf file (/etc/dhclient.conf) and create a
prepend entry for each server you want to answer your dns requests. Take
note, the file is read from top to bottom and in the example below,
127.0.0.1 would be the primary dns server for your system.

interface "rl0" {
        prepend domain-name-servers enteryourdnsiphere
        prepend domain-name-servers enteryourdnsiphere
        prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
}

--

Micheal Patterson
Senior Communications Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message