Counter-Strike, Wine and FreeBSD

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 19:00:30 GMT 2005

Hello!

I'm sorry to bother you all guys, but this issue has really become a
crusade for me :)

I'm trying to play Counter-Strike 1.5 on FreeBSD - over network

The easy part was to install wine, closed-source nvidia drivers,
launch CS1.5 - and even play on the local listen server with some
bots. Mouse was not very responsive, but overall performance was
great. It should be noted that CS1.5 did not need any native dll's -
only wine's built in modules.

The problems start when you try to connect to a network server. It
would just hang. It took me three days of messing with wine, googling,
and meditating - to finally decide to ask for help at
freebsd-questions :)

Things I tried: using virtually all combinations of native dll's from
Win98 and WinXP, trying each and every option in .wine/config, trying
all kinds of CS1.5 options, etc.

Things I didn't try yet - they would require some expertise with
wine/freebsd: careful debugging of relays and messages, building wine
from cvs (port is not that old), IPX instead of IP (wild idea), etc.

Come on, people, could somebody help me with this? CS is the single
most popular FPS game out there. I could just give up and fall back to
Linux/Cedega, but that just wouldn't be cool :) I'm sure that if we
sort it out with CS1.5, Steam and Source will just be a matter of
time. And some hundreds of geeks won't have second thoughts about
FreeBSD on their desktop/laptop computers.

I set up a separate Category on my forum in case anyone needs it:
http://www.csme.ru/forum/

Thanks guys,
Andrew P.