Monitor Tuning

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 15 02:31:49 GMT 2005

On Friday, 12 August 2005 at 15:52:13 -0400, Sean wrote:
> My display is not very sharp and I was looking for a few tips that might
> help to cure things. I tweeked a few things and no luck. Still a soft
> dull image. Little annoying on the eyes.
>
> Is anyone running a NEC Multisync XV17+ with an Nvidia 6500 ultra and
> getting a sharp display?
>
> Excerpts from my xorg.conf will give you my monitor and graphics card.

Others have said this already, but to clarify: adjusting the monitor
parameters may enable you to get higher resolution or less flicker,
but they're unlikely to make it sharper unless they were previously
out of the operating range.  Nowadays that's seldom, since monitors
will just refuse to operate out of spec.

Your monitor may be old, but that doesn't mean in itself that it's
worn out.  I'm still using an Eizo (Nanao) monitor made in 1989.  It's
no longer the best, but it still works.

Greg