Monitor Tuning

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Aug 15 16:06:31 GMT 2005

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> Others have said this already, but to clarify: adjusting the monitor
> parameters may enable you to get higher resolution or less flicker,
> but they're unlikely to make it sharper unless they were previously
> out of the operating range.  Nowadays that's seldom, since monitors
> will just refuse to operate out of spec.

Yeah, and lower resolutions and more flicker (lower refresh rates)
usually give sharper images.

I once got rid of a lot of fuzziness by wrapping the video cable with
aluminum foil; which was feasible because it was only a few inches
between the MB and a backpanel connector.  But you might consider your
longer video cable routing to keep it as far as possible from RF noise.

I've also seen a montitor get fuzzy when setting too close to a noisy
computer or another monitor.

Another thing that sometimes helps and sometimes hurts is to give your
monitor a good slap.