using Linux aaccli in a cron job

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Aug 10 21:34:40 GMT 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 1:23 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Aug 10), Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC said:
>
>> I have a 5.4-R system with an Adaptec 2200S.  I also have Linux
>> emulation running and the aac_linux kernel module installed and I can
>> run the aaccli program successfully in a terminal window and use it
>> to check status of the RAID controller.  However, if I do it from a
>> cron job (same script as I run in a terminal) I get no output.
>> aaccli uses terminal control commands and I suspect it is detecting
>> that it is not connected to a terminal and hence not running.
>> However, I so-far have not been able to get the Cron output to check
>> for errors due to the fact that the mail server rejects it for not
>> having a valid From/Sender and cron does not seem to set a From on
>> its mail or something.
>>

> Cron should always set From, To, and Subject:
>
>                 fprintf(mail, "From: %s (Cron Daemon)\n", usernm);
>                 fprintf(mail, "To: %s\n", mailto);
>                 fprintf(mail, "Subject: Cron <%s@%s> %s\n",
>                     usernm, first_word(hostname, "."),
>                     e->cmd);

maybe ssmtp is doing something with it then since mail I send from
inside my script (the script calls sendmail to email me -- not the
cron output) works but the cron generated mail fails on the mail
server with an unable to find a valid sender in any header (checks
done on Sender, From:,  Reply-To)

>> Any ideas on how to get this aaccli program to run in a cron job?
>>
>> Adaptec really took a step backwards when they went to this aaccli
>> from the earlier raidutils used with asr devices.  The output is
>> cryptic and a pita to work with.
>>

> It seems to work for me on a PowerEdge 2550 and a PERC 3/Di card.
> Putting something like this in cron:
>
> /usr/local/bin/aaccli open /readonly aac0 : enclosure show status :
> disk show smart : container list /full : diagnostic show text

That works better than what I was doing.  I have a "script" I feed to
aaccli, which work in a terminal but not in cron.  Thanks!  The
script idea (./aaccli < script) was recommended to me from an Adaptec
person...

Thanks
Chad