Determining what a port will install... (more than pretty-print-*)

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Sat Apr 30 14:25:39 PDT 2005

Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> Is there a way to determine exactly what a particular port will
>> install on my machine?
>>
>> Doing a `make pretty-print-run-depends-list` will show me all of its
>> requirements... but I am interested in the difference between its
>> requirements and what I already have on my machine.  If I have 7 out
>> of the 10 requirements.... I would like the remaining 3 listed for me.
>>
>> Is there something in place which provides this?
>

> The "portupgrade" port can do this.  Something like...
>
> portupgrade -n -Rr someport
>
> The -n tells it not to do anything, just show you what it would do.
>
> The -r and -R tell it to upgrade any dependencies in both directions.
>
> At the end it will print out a little summary of what ports it needs to
> upgrade, what needs installed, and what you've already got.
This sounds like what I'm looking for... so I tried it.  But its giving
me difficulties.

I am using `portupgrade -nN -rR "x11-fm/rox-filer"` for example.  I know
I have most, but not all, of what is needed by rox-filer.  I was hoping
to see a concise list of things I am missing (and would therefore be
installed).  In my example I used the `-N` switch because the man page
sounded like that what was needed when the port is not currently
installed (which is my situation).

But portupgrade reports
--->  Session started at: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:23:07 -0500
Install 'x11-fm/rox-filer'? [no]
--->  Session ended at: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:23:07 -0500 (consumed 00:00:00)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

--
Regards,