smbfs in fstab

Ash omniBSD at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 26 08:29:00 PDT 2005

kevintaber at discoverfinancial.com wrote:
> currently I mount my XP share via: mount_smbfs -N //a7v133/raid /storage1
>
> How can I get put this in my /etc/fstab so that it doesn't prompt me
> for a password upon bootup.  This winshare is accessible without a
> password and by anyone.  I have read through seveal forums and read
> man pages gallore, but I still remain unsuccessful.
>
> 5.3-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p1 #0

 From the man page for mount_smbfs(8):

[quote]

~/.nsmbrc  Keeps static parameters for connections and other information.
            See /usr/share/examples/smbfs/dot.nsmbrc for details.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  It is possible to use fstab(5) for smbfs mounts:

           //guest at samba/public    /smb/public     smbfs  rw,noauto 0   0

[/quote]

 From /usr/share/examples/smbfs/dot.nsmbrc:

[quote]

# smbfs lookups configuration files in next order:
#       1. ~/.nsmbrc
#       2. /etc/nsmb.conf - if this file found it will
#          override values with same keys from user files.

[/quote]

You will have to store your password in cleartext, but you seem to
already be doing this in home directory since you are using the -N flag.

-Ash