Connecting to the Internet

Tomas Quintero tomasq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:16:42 PDT 2005

On 4/25/05, Broming plutonium <zhangzhaoxi2003 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello everyone...for the first time.
>
> I have two computers. I very recently installed FreeBSD on my first computer because the operating system it used to have, Microsoft Windows, was infected by so many viruses that my computer took a million years to open a program.
>
> I've only had 2 days of experience with FreeBSD, so I don't know anything about it. How do I connect it to the Internet using Ethernet? My computer seemed to be telling me it had three network interfaces. I'm guessing that the ones called plip0 and ppp0 are all wrong; sl0 is the right one.
>
> FreeBSD tries to establish an Internet connection on plip0 every time it boots. How do I change that to sl0?  How do I tell it to "tell DHCP server to assign IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on subnet mask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx USING the sl0 network interface?
>
> What do I have to do to establish an Internet connection? Any help would be >appreciated. Thanks!

Firstly, by telling the DHCP server to assign a static-IP address to a
specific system on the network, what sort of DHCP server are you
speaking of. Are you asking about your ISPs DHCP, a
Linksys/Dlink/other SOHO DHCP device, or are you attempting to setup
your own internal DHCP server such as ISC-DHCP for your LAN.

Secondly, the quick and easy way to change around things so that sl0
pulls an IP is to run /stand/sysinstall and reconfigure your Network
Interfaces. You could also edit rc.conf manually and set up the sl0
interface that way, to either pull a static or dynamic IP.

Is sl0 internal or external? Is the FreeBSD box going to NAT for your
second computer?

--
-Tomas Quintero