Installing FreeBSD -> Fatal trap 12

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Apr 23 21:14:16 PDT 2005

nicholaserho wrote:

>Hello, I am trying to install FreeBSD from floppies on a 486-DX-33, and with
>the three floppies I made I cant get to the boot menu screen (with the devil)
>but if I attempt to boot I get a "Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernal
>mode" error. The same error happens if I try safe mode except my system
>restart. What can I do to fix this so I can install FreeBSD?
>
>Exact Error Message:
>Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernal mode
>fault virtual address   = 0x409b341b
>falut code              = supervisor read, page not present
>instuction pointer      = 0x8:0xc066c17d
>stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc1021c10
>frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc1021c10
>code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
>current process         = 0 ()
>trap number             = 12
>panic: page fault
>Uptime: 1s
>
>Any advice that you could give me would be welcome. Thank you for your time.

1.  Do you have more than 16 MB system RAM?  You need more than
16 to install versions of FreeBSD higher than 5.2.1.

2.  Try diabling "PNPBIOS" type options in the system's BIOS setup
tool.

3.  Make another set of floppies on new diskettes.

4.  Check the hardware compatibility list at www.freebsd.org against
the components in your system.

Hope one of these does some good.

Kevin Kinsey