need help

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sat Apr 23 01:30:28 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 09:07, angelito munez wrote:
> the thing is.. im i have an existing dsl connection
> running on D-LINK router. now the ISP give only one
> real ip. what i did  is from D-link to my 4.11 box i
> put static ip which is 172.16.16.1 to vr0.and goin out
> to client it will be 192.168.0.2.. do u have any idia
> coz i cant browse.. and how to know if my box the
> nttaing is running.. i can ping the box.. but
> sometimes give timed out.. thnks hope u can help me
> out,.
Angeloto,

I guess that 172.16.16.1 is the static IP from your ISP and the 192. etc
is your internal network addresses.

You should enable NAT on your router, this will allow it to translate
the external address to the internal ones.

Your BSD box should be on the same subnet as the router's internal
address usually 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0, so the BSD box's IP
should be something like 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0. You aslo
need to set the BSD box's gateway address to be the router eg
192.168.0.1.

Another way of doing this is to enable DHCP on the router and set the
BSD Box to use DHCP and the settings should be automatic.

Rob