MySQL Server died yesterday !

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Wed Apr 20 04:49:39 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:14:19PM +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> Hello All !
>
> I made quite a few changes to my system recently
> but havent touched any MySQL specific stuff.
>
> When I came to check my forum it was dead
> with an unable to connect error :(
>
> This is in the logs and is recorded every
> time I reboot or start manaully with
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start
>
> 12:05:43  mysqld started
> 12:05:44  InnoDB: Started
> 12:05:44  Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host'
> doesn't exist
> 12:05:44  Aborting
> 12:05:44  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
> 12:05:46  InnoDB: Shutdown completed
> 12:05:46  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete
>
> I have googled on this and read various sections of
> the MySQl manual but cant seem to nail it - nothing seem specific
> to my issue.
>
> Some links suggested reinitialising my DB but
> am not sure how to go about that.

This is a very MySQL specific question. You should post it to the MySQL
mailing list.

It's been a while since I used MySQL. The host table is in the MySQL
database. There should be a directory called data, or something similar,
and inside that there is a directory called mysql, and inside that there
is a file called host, which contains the host table. Or at least,
that's what I remember. Either that file is missing, or the system
permissions on it have changed, or MySQL has changed access privileges
on it. Or something. Check to make sure that it is there, and has the
correct system permissions (ls -l). If it's not there, you may have to
back up all your tables and reinstall. Or you may be able to reinstall
just the host table. Further questions should go to a MySQL mailing
list.

Bob Hall