lost root passwd

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sat Apr 16 12:02:50 PDT 2005

On Sat 16 Apr 05 11:22, Marty Landman <MLandman at face2interface.com>
wrote:
> At 01:35 PM 4/16/2005, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
>
> First, I've been warned about 5.2 before. Thing is a while back I
> asked a neighbor with broadband for a solid and he generously d/l'd
> the lastest stable fbsd for me. I have another box running 4.8 from
> the mini-iso. I don't want to ask him again, so if 5.2 is going to
> inadvisable may convert this box over to either 4.8 too, or possibly
> Debian Woody for which I also have a mini-iso but that old box is no
> longer... though its old cdrom lives on in my dell workstation. :)
>
> >% sysctl kern.securelevel
> >
> >If it's anything but -1
>
> No, it is -1 even from my wheel user id -- not root.
>
> >Did you do
> >
> ># mount -u /
> ># passwd root
>
> Joshua, when I do the 'mount -u /' get back
>
> WARNING: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> mount: /dev/ad-s1a: Operation not permitted

Make sure to run that command before you mount any other fs, like right
after you fsck -p  - i.e.:

(in order)

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs

If it's already mounted, as Danny mentioned earlier, you can't remount
it r/w without umount first.

> >Here's some info about PAM:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/pam-config.h
> >tml
>
> I'm using /etc/pam.d rather than /etc/pam.conf, fwiw. However
> everything  (the pam.d directory and all files within it) are
> writeable only by root, so don't see how that's going to help.

OK, well, I don't know a heck of a lot about the intricacies of PAM, but
I don't think that has anything to do with this anyway. Just throwing
it out there, because of the error.

- jt