lost root passwd

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Sat Apr 16 11:22:58 PDT 2005

At 01:35 PM 4/16/2005, Joshua Tinnin wrote:

First, I've been warned about 5.2 before. Thing is a while back I asked a
neighbor with broadband for a solid and he generously d/l'd the lastest
stable fbsd for me. I have another box running 4.8 from the mini-iso. I
don't want to ask him again, so if 5.2 is going to inadvisable may convert
this box over to either 4.8 too, or possibly Debian Woody for which I also
have a mini-iso but that old box is no longer... though its old cdrom lives
on in my dell workstation. :)

>% sysctl kern.securelevel
>
>If it's anything but -1

No, it is -1 even from my wheel user id -- not root.

>Did you do
>
># mount -u /
># passwd root

Joshua, when I do the 'mount -u /' get back

WARNING: R/W mount of / denied. Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
mount: /dev/ad-s1a: Operation not permitted

>Here's some info about PAM:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pam/pam-config.html

I'm using /etc/pam.d rather than /etc/pam.conf, fwiw. However
everything  (the pam.d directory and all files within it) are writeable
only by root, so don't see how that's going to help.

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal