Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Sun Apr 10 18:02:39 PDT 2005

Anthony M. Agelastos writes:
> Hello all,
>
> My HP DeskJet 612C printer is printing unbearably slow (0.033 PPM). I
> have a stock installation (GENERIC KERNEL) of FreeBSD 5.3 straight off
> of the install CDs, and I have installed very little software thus far.
> I have mainly followed the installation instructions from
>
> http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/freebsd_cups.html
>
> It basically prints one line at a time, then pauses for a while, and
> makes some noises, and then repeats. The whole single test page took
> over 30 minutes to print. Does anyone have any insight/info that they
> can give me to solve this problem or point me in the right direction of
> solving it? I have Googled and done some searching and did not come up
> with anything. I checked the CUPS documentation and forums and did not
> see anything either.

Maybe, make sure you installed the correct driver-there are two; a
high resolution, (something like 3K dots per inch, and it will only do
3K dots per inch, which makes it very slow,) and a driver that uses
the CUPS specific version of ghostscript, ESP ghostscript, (the other
drivers require all of gimp-print to be installed.)

The ESP ghostscript drivers end with a -ijs extension, and that's
probably the one you want.

Look at the ppd file you installed in probably /usr/share/cups/model/
for something like:

    *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

and see if there is anything in the file ending with -ijs.

    John

BTW, this solved the same thing on my Epson Photo Stylus 780. Maybe
your problem, too.

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/