Very slow printing with stock FreeBSD5.3 + CUPS + Gimp-Print + HPDeskJet612C

Anthony M. Agelastos iqgrande at asu.edu
Sun Apr 10 19:53:10 PDT 2005

Thank you for your reply,

When I installed CUPS (make && make install), it defaulted to
ghostscript-gnu-7.07_12. After that, I installed Gimp-print. To get the
printer working, I used the web-based admin system
(http://localhost:631) and chose the 600/600c series printer drivers
(CUPS+Gimp-Print). This resulted in retardedly-slow prints. After
posting the email, I then tried the HP DeskJet 600/600C -
CUPS+Gimp-Print drivers and it has the same problem. I do not see any
other options to choose for this printer in the dialogue I am given.

Are you suggesting that CUPS should use ESP Ghostscript as opposed to
the one it defaults to? If so, how do I go about doing this? I have not
installed any PPDs manually (I relied on Gimp-Print).