(k)mplayer for bktr TV playing [Re: Problems with fxtv]

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sat Apr 9 18:23:34 PDT 2005

[ unless it gets really speculative or specific, please also CC the mailing
list so that poeple can profit from the archives ]

On Sunday 10 April 2005 02:11, you wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks so much for your reply.  Does (k)mplayer support TV tuners?  If so,
> do you need to provide the frequencies?  I couldn't find the frequencies
> on Comcast's website.  I'll try to call them on Monday.

Yes. The bktr has two (main) parts to it, the capture (meteor) function and
the tuner (tv). mplayer initializes both (so does fxtv) but kmplayer invokes
a new mplayer every time you change channels/frequencies. This may not matter
but if you get lots of hangs/freezes when changing channels, fxtv may work
better for you. I think the freezing is a hardware problem that may or may
not occur.

With kmplayer you should do the following:

In your .kde/share/config/kmplayerrc, at least add the following:

[TV]
Devices=/dev/tuner
Driver=bsdbt848

And create a [/dev/tuner] section with at least something like this:

[/dev/tuner]
Audio Device=/dev/mixer
Inputs=0:Composite1;1:Television;2:S-Video;3:Composite3
Name=Pinnacle/Miro TV
No Playback=false
Norm=PAL
Size=-1,-1
Television=Ned1:184;Ned2:192;Ned3:200;RTL4:744;RTL5:720;SBS6:632;Yorin:648;Veronica:792;Net5:504;Discovery:848;Animal
Planet:776;Nat.
Geographic:832;Preview:232;Een:208;Canvas:216;BBC1:664;BBC2:696;BBC
World:856;Eurosport:840;Euronews:544;CNN:760;MTV:784;TMF:752;The
Box:712;ARD:528;ZDF:568;WRD:624;TV5:736;Brabant
TV:488;Lokaal:480;Royaal:512;Info:224;Nickelodeon:728;TRT:824

Initially it only needs the Inputs line (I have TV at input 1 not at 0 which
is kinda peculiar), the Name is what you can set up through the GUI, it's not
required to get it going, neither are (in my case) the No Playback, Norm,
Size parameters. The Television= part should have at least one working
name:frequency (or maybe three, I'm not sure).

Note that 'Television' is an arbitrary name as is the 'Name' param.

If you only add the minimum, you should be able to go into the settings ->
configure menu, then source -> TV, and do scan or go to the /dev/tuner tab if
it already there. Then under 'Television' (or whatever other arbitrary name
you gave the input corresponding with your tuner) you can add Channel/Freq
tabel values for all your stations.

I know that the code as-is doesn't work well with the "Norm" (eg pal, secam,
ntsc) but the bktr cards usually have good autodetection and that should be
enough I think.

HTH,

Dan

P:, bktr also has provisions for channelsets (mainly US oriented) perhaps you
can also use that. For me with fxtv and for everyone with kmplayer you need
to ahve a frequency set to fill in.