DVD Burning: ISO9660 vs. UDF

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Sat Apr 9 18:32:17 PDT 2005

I'm trying to burn a (data) DVD, to back up some older stuff, but I've hit a
bit of a snafu.

Everything I've read has said to use 'growisofs' (or 'mkisofs') to create an
ISO9660 filesystem, which then gets burned to the disc.  Which is fine; I
can do that, and it works.  But one of the files I need to burn is just over
3GB, and ISO9660 no likey files that big.  And I'm not sure it matters, but
I'm using both Joliet and Rock Ridge extensions.

There are a couple of ways I can work around this, but I was wondering, how
does one burn a UDF filesystem to a DVD (or any medium, for that matter)?
Or, how can I coax CD9660 to like files that big?  (I'm near positive I
can't.)

Again, please Cc: me in any reply, as I'm not subscribed to -questions.

  - Damian