segfaults when building world

fadeaway at gmail.com fadeaway at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 22:36:59 PDT 2005

I am having problems building world off a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.3

I cvsup'd the src from cvsup2.freebsd.org with the tag 'releng_5_3'.
Also tried and removed the entire src dir and cvsup'd again from
cvs3.freebsd.org with the same tag... hoping it might just be a corrupt
src I grabbed the first time.

Other than the segfault errors the system has also hung once while
attempting to build world. and another time while `make cleandir` in
/usr/src to prepare for another attempt.

One thing to note, when I buildworld it will exit at different points.
I also confirmed this with doing `time make buildworld`, the time
changes with each attempt as well.

My make.conf contains...
  "CFLAGS= -O -pipe"
  "NO_BLUETOOTH= true"
  "NO_SENDMAIL= true"
  "NOPROFILE= true "
I've also tried a default make.conf file and some variations with my
make.conf but still nothing...

I've tried `make buildworld` or `make -j4 buildworld` as suggested by
the handbook.
Each new attempt I always...
  # chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/usr
  # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
  # cd /usr/src
  # make cleandir
I would do `make cleandir` twice as suggested by someone just to be sure

I googled a bit and from what i gathered it could be a hardware
issue... Seems about right, request a tech @ the datacenter where the
server is located to run 'memtest'. Reported fine...

I was sure it was a hardware issue, now I am completely out of options!
If anyone has -any- suggestions at all please let me know!

A copy of one of the segfault errors while doing make buildworld:
  ./contrib/gcc
-I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/config
-DGENERATOR_FILE -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include -c
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/genmodes.c
  /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/genmodes.c:
In function `emit_insn_modes_c_header':

/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/genmodes.c:
836: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
  Please submit a full bug report,
  See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src.