segfaults when building world

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Fri Apr 8 22:46:46 PDT 2005

fadeaway at gmail.com wrote:
> I am having problems building world off a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.3
>
> I cvsup'd the src from cvsup2.freebsd.org with the tag 'releng_5_3'.
> Also tried and removed the entire src dir and cvsup'd again from
> cvs3.freebsd.org with the same tag... hoping it might just be a corrupt
> src I grabbed the first time.
>
> Other than the segfault errors the system has also hung once while
> attempting to build world. and another time while `make cleandir` in
> /usr/src to prepare for another attempt.
>
> One thing to note, when I buildworld it will exit at different points.
> I also confirmed this with doing `time make buildworld`, the time
> changes with each attempt as well.
>
> My make.conf contains...
>  "CFLAGS= -O -pipe"
>  "NO_BLUETOOTH= true"
>  "NO_SENDMAIL= true"
>  "NOPROFILE= true "
> I've also tried a default make.conf file and some variations with my
> make.conf but still nothing...
>
> I've tried `make buildworld` or `make -j4 buildworld` as suggested by
> the handbook.
> Each new attempt I always...
>  # chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/usr
>  # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
>  # cd /usr/src
>  # make cleandir
> I would do `make cleandir` twice as suggested by someone just to be sure
>
> I googled a bit and from what i gathered it could be a hardware
> issue... Seems about right, request a tech @ the datacenter where the
> server is located to run 'memtest'. Reported fine...
>
> I was sure it was a hardware issue, now I am completely out of options!
> If anyone has -any- suggestions at all please let me know!
>
> A copy of one of the segfault errors while doing make buildworld:
>  ./contrib/gcc
> -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/config
> -DGENERATOR_FILE -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include -c
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/genmodes.c
>  /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/genmodes.c:
> In function `emit_insn_modes_c_header':
>   /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/../../../../contrib/gcc/genmodes.c:
> 836: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>  Please submit a full bug report,
>  with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>  See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src.
> _______________________________________

Some redundancy:

your supfile ought to look something like this:
*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
src-all

After you cvsup'd - you read /usr/src/UPDATING for anything that might
pop out at you

A vvery basic /etc/make.conf:
PERL_VER=5.8.6
PERL_VERSION=5.8.6

the statndard:

cd /usr/obj
chflags -R noschg *
rm -rf *
cd /usr/src
make buildworld

If all above true, I don't know.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Any circuit design must contain at least one part which
is obsolete, two parts which are unobtainable and three
parts which at still under development.