Securelevel dont let ipf read rules...

perikillo perikillo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:06:44 PDT 2005

 Hi all, i was testing my firewaill with Freebsd 4.11 Release and ipf on the
kernel. I have ppp setup to run on every time i turn on the system, i was
using securelevel=2 on the /etc/sysctl.conf
kern.securelevel=2
and /etc/rc.conf
/etc/rc.conf:
kernel_securelevel=2

After i see that my firewall was ready to start his job, i decide to change
the secure level to paranoid level and change the secure level to 3:
/etc/sysctl.conf:
kern.securelevel=3
/etc/rc.conf:
kernel_securelevel=3

Went i restart my computer, and try to access with my other computer wich
use Windows 2k, i try to access the internet, and see that my browser dont
find nothing, make some test on it, but no access to the outside world. I go
back to my firewall and test the conecction:

test#ifconfig

This show that i was conected, then test with ping, fastest_cvsup none of
then reach the outside world. After this i test ipf :

test#ipfstat -hio
upsssssssssssssss, dont have any rules on my firewall, the i go to:

test# ee /var/log/console

I go to the end of the file and read my last boot up messages and see that
went my system try read the /etc/ipf.rules and /etc/ipmon.rules the system
secure level=3 on /etc/syctl.conf dont let ipf and ipnat to charge his rules
set.
"Operation Not Permite" (something like this mmmm dont remember the right
messages :-\)

/etc/sysctl.conf goes before /etc/rc.conf, i was thinking that if i setup
securelevel=1 on sysctl.conf and then on rc.conf after ipf and ppp start,
setup securelevel to 3, but my rc.conf dosent do nothing.

How can i reach securelevel=3 and run my firewall, i dont want to input
nothing directly i want that baby(freebsd) do every thing automatically,
maybe i need to setup a script???

Or i am doing something wrong?

I read man init but dont see nothing about this issue...

Thanks all for your comments.
NOTE: Freebsd 4.11 Release, ipfilter compile in the kernel. This machine run
only my firewall no servers is an old pentium 100Mhz. I try to write my best
english.