FreeBSD server behind router-NAT; how to configure sendmail?

Harald Schmalzbauer harry at schmalzbauer.de
Sun Apr 3 09:25:51 PDT 2005

Am Sonntag, 3. April 2005 17:36 schrieb Rob:
> Emanuel Strobl wrote:\>
>
> > If you don't have /etc/mail/yourhostname.domain.mc
> > then you should cd to /etc/mail and type "make",
> > after you edited the file "make all install restart"
>
> Thanks for your help. I generated the files with this
> make command, and all just worked out of the box.
> I can send email, without needing to tell sendmail
> about my hostname. So far so good.
>
> However, next what I need, is using another port for
> sending emails out. I have googled and read the
> sendmail FAQs, but I am completely at a loss here.
>
> There is a FAQ, that explains:
>
>   If you want all outgoing SMTP connections to use
>   port 2525, you can use this in your .mc file:
>
>   define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 2525')
>   define(`ESMTP_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 2525')
>
> I have put this in my hostname.mc file, but to no
> avail. I'm probably not familiar enough with sendmail
> way of doing things. But then this is such a simple
> thing, that it should be easy.
>
> I suppose that with "netstat -a", there should be
> a line with port 2525, if above works. But that is
> not there.

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but what you did with
these defines is that sendmail contacts every other system at port 2525
insetad of 25, it's not listening on 2525, hence you can't see a tcp/2525
with netstat -a.

But I think it should do what you want, if I understand your description
right. If you want sendmail to listen at a custom port these defines are
wrong. I don't have them in my mind right now, I'm sure you'll find the M4
defines at the sendmail FAQ, tell me if I can help.

-Harry