5.3 auto starting NFS by error

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Apr 2 18:02:32 PST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 08:43:47PM -0500, bob at a1poweruser.com wrote:
> This is a standard vanilla install from mini.iso cd with all the
> sysinstall questions answered as no.
> I have not made any changes to any /etc files.
> What was delivered in the install is what the current content is.
> The /etc/fstab as delivered does not have any nfs mounts.
> This is not a configuration error on my part. This is how the 5.3
> system gets installed for cd.
> This is a problem with how the sysinstall process configures the
> system.

The GENERIC (i.e. default) kernel is configured to allow NFS client
support, which means that the nfsiod kernel processes are spawned at
boot time.  If you don't want this, reconfigure your kernel to disable
the NFS client support.  Or don't, because the resource usage is
negligible.

Kris

P.S. You're still top-posting.  If you can't be bothered to format
your posts properly, I won't bother to help you.