ATI AGP card and Xorg

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Fri Sep 17 15:33:26 PDT 2004

John DeStefano wrote:

>Trying to take my mind off my server exploit issue...
>
>I'm trying to configure an ATI Radeon 9000 64mb AGP video card with
>Xorg on a FreeBSD5.3beta2 workstation. No matter which config option I
>choose ('Xorg -configure', 'xorgcfg -textmode', xorgconfig), when I
>test the generated .conf file, the screen locks up with a bunch of
>colors and horizontal lines (green on top, blue everywhere else). The
>mouse cursor moves, but none of the Ctrl+Alt key combos work, and I
>can't escape the X session or access another virtual console. The
>"Device" section generated from 'Xorg -configure' is:
>Section "Device"
>Identifier "Card0"
>Driver "ati"
>VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
>BoardName "Radeon RV250 If [Radeon 9000]"
>BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
>
>Here's any related output I can think of from 'pciconf -lv':
>agp0 at pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x01e010de rev=0xa2
>hdr=0x00
>vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>device = 'nForce2 AGP Controller'
>class = bridge
>subclass = HOST-PCI
>.
>.
>.
>none9 at pci3:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x20021002 chip=0x49661002 rev=0x01
>hdr=0x00
>vendor = 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
>device = 'RV250 Radeon 9000/9000 Pro'
>class = display
>subclass = VGA
>none10 at pci3:0:1: class=0x038000 card=0x20031002 chip=0x496e1002
>rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>vendor = 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
>device = 'RV250 Radeon 9000/9000 Pro - Secondary'
>class = display
>
>I thought it might be an AGP/kernel issue, but when I try 'kldload
>agp' I get back "File exists", and when I do 'kldstat -n agp' or
>'kldunload' I get "No such file".
>
>I tried someone else's bare-bones "radeon" conf file, and I got the
>same problem as always on test: blue/green garbled screen, mouse
>moves, can't escape out of locked-up X. I then replaced the "radeon"
>Driver entry with "vesa" in the config. When I tested this, it showed
>a different garbled screen (grey this time) for a few seconds, then
>clicked to a "normal" X-Windows screen, but with a black hourglass
>outline on the sides. I was able to Ctl+Alt+Backspace out of this as
>normal, and the console didn't report any warnings or errors.
>
>I then moved this config file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and ran 'startx'.
>It started fine and looked as described above, with an hourglass
>outline. When I exited X, there were some errors on the console that
>were probably just from exiting out of X, and this one:
>xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "my.hostname.com:0" in "remove" command
>
>Any ideas on how to get this card working properly?  BTW: I began
>using FreeBSD5.3beta2 on this machine for its NDIS support for my
> [...]
I know your pain so well!  I have a r200 on a nforce2 board.  I have the
same problems as you.

1.It looks as if your pci id is wrong.  I might be wrong, but I see
3:0:1 and 3:0:0.  You should not use the BusID option if you can avoid
it.  There is a free pci scan with every startx!  The point of the scan
is not having to set the id.

drm0 at pci2:0:0:  class=0x030000 card=0x7149174b chip=0x514c1002 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies Inc.'
    device   = 'R200 Radeon 8500 / 8500LE'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA

You see here on mine I am getting a driver attached to my card.  The
_none_10 at pci3:0:1 means there is no driver attacked, or at least drm is
not working.

2.You must preload agp.  The handbook clearly states you have to have
agp in the kernel or preloaded.  You should not kldload or kldunload agp.

hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
agp.ko_load="YES"
snd_ich.ko_load="YES"
radeon.ko_load="YES"

This is just a sample of my /boot/loader.conf file.  You see I have the
radeon and agp drivers preloaded.

3.The current version of dri in the kernel is outdated and does not have
accellerated drivers that work.  I think they will be updated after the
release of 5.3 when the new xorg sever is put into ports.  You can use
dri without x, but no one does.  Dri is its own project and a part of x,
but in FreeBSD dri is part of the base system since it has drivers(I
think this is why).  So this means no loading dri modules in the
xorg.conf file, and no hardware accellerated 3d for you until the
update.  Before you mention it, I do know you have the RV280 and not the
R200 like me.  The RV280 is a modifed R200 and does use the same driver.

I also noticed you have 2 radeons in the pciscan.  I have a tripple head
8500(svideo, vga, dvi) and I only have 1 radeon show up.  Do you have 2
cards(it looks like 1 card, could this be a dual head side effect? could
I get a dmesg on this)?  What settings have you changed to get this to
happen or is it deafult?

Finally, if you do all I said you should have a working x and system.
Right now I can get 25-30 fps in glxgears fullscreen.  When the new
drivers are here that number should be more like 2500-3000(or was there
another zero?).  If you need any files just email me.

Jason